Union Station Homeless Services is a non-profit organization working to rebuild lives and end homelessness in Los Angeles. As the San Gabriel Valley’s largest and most comprehensive homeless services agency, Union Station provides a comprehensive range of services to adults and families, including street outreach, meals, showers, care coordination, shelter, housing and job search assistance. The organization seeks a passionate, motivated and qualified Development and Communications Associate.
SUMMARY: The Development and Communications Associate provides coordination and implementation of the agency’s external communication efforts, including public relations, branded collateral and online presence to consistently articulate Union Station’s mission.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with Director of Development (DOD) to implement the annual communications calendar and to maintain the Union Station Homeless Services brand across print and electronic collateral
- Create publications, including quarterly newsletters, direct mail and annual reports, by managing timelines, writing, researching, collecting artwork and designing. Work in conjunction with the Development team, other agency staff, and vendors.
- Create and update printed collateral, including brochures, event invitations, posters, display boards, banners, press kits, and flyers.
- Create and distribute e-blast communications, including quarterly e-newsletters, event promotions, and other emails as needed
- Maintain the organization’s presence on social networking sites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Maintain the organization’s website. Ensure that content is current and the site’s appearance is user-friendly, professional and attractive.
- Coordinate media inquiries by connecting media to appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Work with program and volunteer department staff to identify and develop client success stories, testimonials, program updates and other media opportunities.
- Maintain and update media contact lists and maintain accurate printed and digital catalog of press coverage.
- Assist in event promotion by designing printed and digital event collateral, writing and distributing press releases, developing media sponsorship, serving on event committees as needed, and working at major events as assigned. Event work includes occasional weekends, evenings and holidays, including such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Assist the development team with prospect research by creating profiles using biographical information, financial data, news, and philanthropic history.
- Serve as representative at tabling and speaking engagements in the community as needed. Identify and pursue appropriate and impactful community relations opportunities with service groups, congregations and schools to enhance public awareness of our programs and services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Outstanding written, verbal and visual communication skills.
- Persuasive public speaking skills to large groups; ability to deliver appropriate messaging based on group’s age and demographic.
- Excellent working knowledge of software applications including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint required.
- Ability to create attractive publications and graphics. Must have desktop publishing and graphic layout skills with strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator required.
- Excellent working knowledge of web-based applications including Constant Contact, WordPress and social media applications required. HTML knowledge helpful.
- Understanding of brand management, public relations, and online communications required.
- Must be a creative, reliable and conscientious self-starter with strong time-management skills
- Must possess excellent attention to detail and ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects and deadline.
- Passion for the mission of Union Station Homeless Services required.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Work indoors in a temperature controlled environment with low to moderate noise level. Occasional outdoor work and driving may be required.
- Requires use of computer and phone; stand and sit for long periods of time, and move and walk to various locations.
- See, hear and speak clearly in order to give and receive information and instructions.
- Complex reading, writing, and research skills; analytical/perceptive /comprehensive capabilities.
- Ability to interact effectively with employees, clients, customers, media and other members of the public.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize workload, manage time, adapt to changing work demands, and meet deadlines.
- Able to work overtime, and work evenings and weekends.
- Must possess valid California driver’s license.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum two years in communications, marketing or public relations experience required.
- Previous non-profit experience highly preferred.
Union Station Homeless Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer