Union Station Homeless Services is seeking experienced candidates to fill positions in its recently launched Multi-Disciplinary Outreach Team – a new and innovative street-based outreach program targeting the most vulnerable homeless individuals and families living in the San Gabriel Valley. This team will bring a full range of support and treatment to persons not otherwise engaged in services. Candidates for this team will have experience engaging unsheltered homeless individuals and families with the ultimate goal of moving them into permanent housing. This clinically oriented team will consist of a mental health specialist, a substance use specialist, a nurse practitioner and a peer advocate in order to support ending the homelessness of the San Gabriel Valley’s most at-risk homeless population.
SUMMARY: The MDT (Multidisciplinary Team) Housing Navigator conducts outreach and housing navigation activities with a focus on chronically homeless and highly vulnerable individuals. S/he is a member of an interdisciplinary team that will provide services to clients on the streets and in encampments. The Housing Navigator will provide substance abuse counseling services or mental health assessments and interventions (depending on specialty), within scope of practice, to clients in need of assistance. S/he will also address the individuals’ immediate needs and work to engage them in the housing navigation process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts outreach activities to engage chronically homeless individuals toward pursuing permanent housing options.
- Receives, assesses and triages referrals from walk-ins and other collaborative partners.
- Conducts standardized screening and triages chronically homeless individuals.
- Assists individuals with collecting documents necessary for applying for permanent supportive housing.
- Attends case conferencing meetings to coordinate services with other providers.
- Provides substance abuse counseling and linkage to related resources if indicated, using a harm reduction philosophy as basis for interventions OR provides mental health assessments, counseling, and interventions when indicated, using Recovery Model and Trauma-Informed Care, among other like philosophies as basis for interventions.
- Connects individuals to other supportive services as needed such as mental health, health, substance abuse, legal, employment, etc.
- Document services and complete data entry into HMIS database.
- Provide linkage to mainstream resources, such as DPSS or Social Security Disability.
- Provide transportation assistance for the purposes of stabilizing the current housing crisis.
- Conduct follow-up activities to ensure completion of the crisis housing plan.
- Identify appropriate interventions to address and resolve the homeless status of program participants.
- Assists individuals with accessing permanent housing opportunities including permanent supportive housing, move-in assistance, shared housing, affordable housing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of emergency housing, transitional and permanent housing resources throughout Los Angeles County.
- Knowledge of HUD guidelines and experience working with subsidized housing programs such as Section 8, Shelter Plus Care and others.
- Professional substance abuse counseling certification, i.e. CADAC OR certification of mental health specialty including BSW or MSW.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- 1 year of experience working with homeless individuals, preferably in an outreach/navigation capacity
Union Station Homeless Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer