SUMMARY: The Housing Specialist provides services to support homelessness prevention and rapid rehousing for assigned program participants. The Specialist develops a range of housing resources that meet the needs and circumstances of participants served by Union Station Homeless Services. The Housing Specialist implements activities related to crisis housing, identifies affordable housing resources, and supports participants with securing permanent housing. Specialists assigned to direct contracts will perform all the duties as indicated in that contract and by assigned supervisor.
CONDITIONS: This is a contract funded position. This position is located in Pasadena.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages a caseload between 25-30 participants that qualify for services on any given month
- Develops and implements crisis housing plans which include consideration of alternatives to entering the crisis housing system. If the family does not have an appropriate option for alternative housing, arrange for immediate crisis housing.
- Connects families to immediate supportive services as needed such as mental health, health, substance abuse, child care, employment, etc.
- Assists participants in accessing all suitable housing opportunities including rental subsidies, move-in assistance & private rental agreements.
- Acts as an advocate and negotiator for individuals with poor credit and poor housing histories, e.g., evictions, while establishing a professional relationship with property owners and managers.
- Maintains accurate records of clients’ participation and progress in program in accordance with agency regulations and expectations.
- Collects and makes resources on both traditional and non-traditional affordable housing units available for agency residents.
- Meet participants on a bi-weekly to monthly basis for continued support on housing needs based on Client Service Plan
- Works in coordination with Family Response Specialist to ensure enrollment in program
- Works in coordination with the Housing Stability Specialist for participants to receive additional support in obtaining and maintain permanent housing.
- Assist with conducting housing inspections and issuance of monthly rental subsidy.
- Assist participants with budgeting skills to ensure that permanent housing is sustainable.
- Transport participants as needed to essential appointments or drive to meet them out in the field.
- Participates in agency and program meetings
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related field preferred or Associates Degree required.
- Three years of experience in social services required.
- Experience assisting low and very-low income individuals access affordable housing.
- Experience working with homeless individuals preferred
- Knowledge of HUD guidelines and experience working with subsidized housing programs such as Section 8, Shelter Plus Care and others.
- Bilingual: Desirable, but not required.
- Must possess valid California Driver’s License and insurance.