Union Station Homeless Services is seeking experienced candidates to fill positions in its recently launched Multi-Disciplinary Outreach Team – a new and innovative street-based outreach program targeting the most vulnerable homeless individuals and families living in the San Gabriel Valley. This team will bring a full range of support and treatment to persons not otherwise engaged in services. Candidates for this team will have experience engaging unsheltered homeless individuals and families with the ultimate goal of moving them into permanent housing. This clinically oriented team will consist of a mental health specialist, a substance use specialist, a nurse practitioner and a peer advocate in order to support ending the homelessness of the San Gabriel Valley’s most at-risk homeless population.
SUMMARY: The Lead Housing Navigator conducts outreach and housing navigation activities with a focus on chronically homeless and highly vulnerable individuals. The Lead Housing Navigator is a member of MDT (Multidisciplinary Team) that will provide services to clients on the streets and in encampments. S/he will provide clinical services, within scope of practice, to clients in need of assistance. S/he will provide clinical support to the interdisciplinary team, within scope of practice. S/he will have a leadership role within the team and will provide oversight of the day to day program activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts outreach activities as part of an interdisciplinary team to engage chronically homeless individuals toward pursuing permanent housing options.
- Receives, assesses and triages referrals from CES team members and community partners.
- Conducts standardized screening and triages chronically homeless individuals along with the interdisciplinary team.
- Assists individuals with collecting documents necessary for applying for permanent supportive housing.
- Provides day to day oversight of program activities as well as day to day supervision of program staff.
- Provides clinical supervision of staff working in Navigation and mental health specialty capacities.
- Attends case conferencing meetings to coordinate services with other providers.
- Connects individuals to supportive services as needed such as mental health, health, substance abuse, employment, etc.
- Documents services and completes data entry into HMIS database.
- Provides linkages to mainstream resources, such as DPSS or Social Security Disability.
- Provides transportation assistance for the purposes of stabilizing the current housing crisis.
- Conducts follow-up activities to ensure completion of the crisis services and housing plan.
- Identifies appropriate interventions to address and resolve the homeless status of program participants.
- Assists individuals with accessing permanent housing opportunities including permanent supportive housing, move-in assistance, shared housing, affordable housing, etc.
- In conjunction with the Regional Coordinator, facilitates weekly case conferencing/team meetings.
- Manages and tracks new referrals and ensures timely outreach.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of transitional and permanent housing resources throughout Los Angeles County.
- Knowledge of HUD guidelines and experience working with subsidized housing programs such as Section 8, Shelter Plus Care and others.
- Current knowledge of social work practices and principles related to best practice standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to accurately enter client data and notes in HMIS Homeless Management Information System.
- Possess valid California driver’s license and have access to properly registered vehicle.
- MSW, MFT or Master’s in Psychology.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Experience assisting low and very-low income individuals access affordable housing.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with homeless individuals.
Apply online at www.unionstationhs.org. Employment Opportunities are featured under the “Who We Are” tab.
Union Station Homeless Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer