Thanks to our partners at United Way of Greater Los Angeles, we have received a generous grant to launch a new Volunteer Mentor Initiative! This program will serve as an added tool to provide support to homeless individuals as they transition into permanent supportive housing.
Volunteers will have the unique opportunity to offer meaningful connection with clients so they can be empowered within their new communities. This program has been created collaboratively through the input of volunteers, USHS staff, and materials provided by United Way.
Volunteer Mentor Program Goals
12 month goals for this program include:
• Providing re-integration services to clients
• Have clients who received re-integration services retain housing
• Satisfaction of clients with new housing and neighborhoods, and
• An increase of program participants feeling connected to their new communities
Volunteer Mentor Program Requirements
Interested in becoming one of our Volunteer Mentors? Here are the requirements:
- 6 month commitment that starts from the time you are paired up with a participant
- Commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month to spend with the participant you are paired with
- Must be 25 years old
- Required to attend a 3-hour training and orientation
- Must participate in monthly check-ins with USHS staff and other Volunteer Mentors
Still Interested? Fill out the online application!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I filled out the application. What is next?
A: You will be contacted by a USHS staff member, given a phone interview, undergo a background check, and if USHS staff determine that you are an ideal match for the program, you will be scheduled to participate in the volunteer mentor training.
Q: Do I get to pick my participant?
A: To maximize the success of our Volunteer Mentor Program, our staff carefully selects and pairs clients with volunteers that will be the best match.
Q: I’m a current USHS client that is interested in being matched with a mentor. How do I get one?
A: Speak with your Care Coordinator and they will help you fill out a Mentor Request Form.
For any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out and contact our Mentor Program Coordinator, Emily Fredrickson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 626.791.6662 ext 209.